Saturday, September 27, 2008

bakey bakey fall sessions!!!

so i love to bake...like love love.....

part of how i got the nickname muffin is because of my baking skillz, and yes it is spelled with a z because they are that amazing, or so i am told..normally i am not a big ego person, but when it comes to certain foods, yeah i know i got talent, yo...just representing for myself 'cause if i don't then who will? don't hate the playa, hate the baked goods the playa produces...

ok, so enough of that.....yesterday i had to bake a little something for my juju's bake sale at school, so i decided on my favorite banana bread.
unfortunately for me, i had no ripe bananas on hand, so bought four of them and when i got home, i went to town....and i am going to share this recipe with anyone who is willing to read my drivel

mind you, i try to make everything using all organic ingredients, so i won't bother saying organic in every piece, just know it is organic

four really ripe bananas, the blacker the bedder (teehee) MASHED, sometimes it is nice to have them clumpy, other times I use a ricer to get them like baby food for a nice smooth bread

1 egg

1/4 cup melted butter

a generous splash of apple juice (about a 1/4 cup to half, but only use 1/4 in the wet, and use more later if too sticky)

1 1/2 cup flour

1 cup sugar (sometimes i use half sugar half honey or something along those lines, also if you love apple, you can use some apple sauce in place of the sugar...)

1 tsp baking soda

1 tsp salt

cinnamon to personal taste (depending on time of year I love more in fall and winter and just a little in summer)

If you like, you can use nuts or dried fruit as well, but again depending on time of year I either add tons or nothing!


mix the wet together, being careful the butter is not hot as it can cook the egg if added when it is too hot or too fast...drizzle it in slowly to warm the wet...

sift together the flours, sugar, salt, baking soda and cinnamon. add slowly to the wet, mixing well and not adding too much to create the flour crop dusting of me and my counter!

heat the oven to 350 degrees F...

grease a bread pan (I use the 9x5 usually, or I think that is the size) with your choice, I use butter, but pam or what have you will work well

once the mix is well incoperated and smooth, if you notice it seems a bit sticky, or really think, add spalsh of apple juice to thin it a bit...now careful, you don't want it runny, but a nice smooth thick is fine

Now if when you would add any dried fruits or nuts.....sometimes I sprinkle the top with brown sugar or a granola mix

bake for 65 mins....once you take it out check it with a tooth pick in the middle...if it comes out clean, it is done...if not put it in another 5 mins and recheck

sometimes it is fun to eperiment with things in these breads, like using coconut flour in place of a bit of the flour, using whole wheat, using apple cider instead of juice...whatever...this is your bread to have fun with!

I love baking them and giving them to friends randomly just to see their face light up when they know what they are getting, one of muffin's surprise filled 'nana breads!!!!

No comments: